Thursday, August 23, 2007

Dairy Queen Debacle

So our friend, Rob, came to visit us last weekend with 2 of his daughters, Bri & Madi. We hung out at the house, took them around town, went to a movie, and ate a LOT. Somehow we always tend to do that with Rob :) Saturday evening we decided to run to Dairy Queen for a bedtime snack. The girls were so excited and to be honest, I wasn't too disappointed either! So we hop in the car to make the 6 minute drive and once we're on the road we encounter one of my least favorite things about living in Kentucky - the horrible drivers. Let me just point out that in the state of Kentucky, only 1 safety inspection is required... EVER!! So we have this idiot in front of us driving a car that I can only imagine is held together merely by rust. He is not going the speed limit, nor is he paying attention since he's talking on his cell phone. Unfortunately, Kentucky does not have any laws against cell phone use while operating a vehicle. Needless to say, we experience this garbage quite often, and being from NY I have very little patience for it.

We FINALLY arrive at Dairy Queen, just minutes before they close. And I approach the counter to order and am met by a cashier who appeared to be falling asleep. She asked me if the order was for "here" or "to go" though the words have never sounded more foreign to me. I could barely understand her, so I figured I should probably proceed slowly. I gave her the first order in my slowest speech possible, waited a couple seconds, then did the same with the other 3 things we were buying. When I finished she looked at me and said, "ok... so I have a PB cup blizzard made with chocolate ice cream, and... what was the rest??" I looked at Rob and he gave me this look like, "you gotta be kidding me!" I repeated the other things even SLOWER than before... though my lack of Kentucky accent might have thrown her off as well. It's hard to say.

After repeating it again, she still only added 1 item. So we gave her the order a THIRD time - and at this point I really figured we wouldn't be getting our ice cream at all since it had taken her almost 10 minutes JUST TO TAKE THE ORDER. We finally paid her for the order after she read it back to us... also painful... and stood at the end of the counter waiting for everything. My blizzard came out first, though it was being made by someone else. So I can only assume that our cashier was not allowed to operate any machinery, since the mere mention of it probably hurts her brain. Blizzard - done. Madi ordered a small dish of vanilla ice cream dipped in cherry. But rather than the dip, the girl put actual maraschino cherries on top. I was VERY clear when I said, "we'd like that dipped." So Rob was going to just eat it and give Madi his milkshake, but I wasn't about to have that. I looked at the girl and immediately she knew she had done it wrong. She said, "oh wait... was that supposed to be dipped??" I just smiled and nodded because any comments at that point might've cost us the rest of the order! So she threw out the original one, fixed the new one, and then started making another person's order. Another girl was making Rob's milkshake - everything was fine. We were still waiting on a Dilly Bar for Bri when we watched this same cashier throw out 3 more items... simply because she wasn't paying attention when making them. HOW HARD IS IT TO WORK AT DAIRY QUEEN?!?!?! After trying to get another person's attention to get the Dilly Bar, at last we had everything we ordered. An excruciating 23 minutes in DQ for something that should've taken 5. We left with our heads hung low... yes, folks, I live in Kentucky. :)

2 comments:

Kari said...

what a CRAZY story!!! at least you're making memories. :)

becca said...

that is just ridiculous. i would write a letter to Queen Dairy herself and complain. :) that is poor customer service at it's best! i think that the dairy queen workers in NY are much more on-their-feet. maybe you should come here and get some icecream...just a thought...