Monday, August 20, 2007

Crazy July

I spent almost the entire month of July in New York for work. The first weekend was Danielle's baby shower. She's giving birth to the first grandchild on the DeHaven side... so it's been pretty exciting! The following week was spent in Ellicottville for the Hunter's Hope Annual Family & Medical Symposium at Holiday Valley. What an unbelievable time! I had a chance to meet some of the strongest people I'll ever know- children (and families) living with leukodystrophies. I am continually amazed at how God has used these kids to work in the lives of the parents and siblings... and me! I feel privileged to know them, and even more blessed to have the opportunity to serve them through the Foundation. I can't help but wonder who will be back next year, and those who may not. Meeting the families of children who have passed away has shown me how short this life really can be, and how important it is to do something that MATTERS. The Lord has spoken to me about His plan and how I need to trust Him to take me wherever He would have me go... not where I would feel most comfortable.

After the Symposium we came back to Orchard Park to prepare for the 5th annual Rochester Candlelight Ball. This fundraiser has grown each year and the people who support the Foundation are extremely generous. I was also given the opportunity to sing again and it was such a blast. I'm always thankful for any chance to sing, but getting to share a song about the love of God in a place that's usually devoid of that topic is SO cool! The night was crazy and we were exhausted afterward, but it was worth it... we exceeded our fundraising goal :) I look forward to returning to Buffalo for the anniversary gala in November. In the meantime, I continue to seek out grant opportunities. Know anyone who'd like to donate $10,000+ to a good cause??

After more than 3 1/2 weeks of being away, I was definitely glad to be back home. It's been strange to be away... but in my hometown. Lots of emotions surfaced during that trip so, needless to say, I was wiped. The flight back began at 6:40am and delays in the air and on the ground left me in Cincinnati waiting for Shane to drive from Lexington (about an hour and a half away) to pick me up. Gotta love Delta airlines.

3 comments:

Stefanie Schocke said...

Hey Aimee- I didn't know you had a blog...I just started "blogging" too...sorta. I'm not as committed as Kristen! Ha- but who is??! Just kidding. I would love to catch up sometime dear cousin! Love you!

Stefanie Schocke said...

Hey Aimee-
Yah, my cell is the same and the voicemail should work...actually I got a message from you! I will call you tomorrow...if you'll be around! Love you!

becca said...

you have a blog!!!!!!!! this made my day!!!!!!!