Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Cornish Game Hen

So I got a little ambitious this week with dinners... Shane & I were at the grocery store getting food for the week when I spotted a twin pack of cornish game hen. And to answer your question, no - I have never cooked one before. I figured it couldn't be all that difficult. Shane looked at me with a questioning glance and said, "You sure about this??" To which I obviously answered, "We can figure it out!" I admit, I cheated a bit by looking on the internet for a definition of "truss" since I had never heard of it before. Apparently to "truss" any type of poultry means to tie it up. Well, I didn't really think it was that important since I wasn't stuffing the birds. Turns out I was right in this instance! It wasn't that necessary in this case since we had only seasoned the birds rather than stuffing them.

While I was preparing the hen for roasting all I could think was, "Holy crap - this is gonna be so bad and then Shane will be right... AGAIN!" But I continued to season and followed the directions given on the package. And on a sidenote, always know how hot your oven actually is! Ours is apparently off by a long shot. How could one be calibrated so poorly??! I ended up having to cook the freakin birds almost 30 minutes longer than what I was supposed to. I'm a little nervous to eat them, so I'll give my hubby the privilege of the first taste! :) I'll let you know how it goes...

1 comments:

Stefanie Schocke said...

Aimee-
That was such a funny story...and I could see the whole thing happening. I would have no idea how to cook one either! You are brave! Sorry I didn't get to call you, I ended up babysitting all day yesterday (really needed the money!). We'll talk soon!